The future of science advice in Europe
This one-day event on 13 November in Helsinki brings together leading practitioners and scholars to reflect on emerging trends, weak signals, and promising opportunities for developing next-generation science advice capabilities.
Today’s world faces an increasingly complex and interconnected policy environment. This has prompted the EU and national governments to rethink existing tools and structures for designing policy, and to seek innovative ways to govern.
This rethinking extends also to science advice. Many key policy challenges of the twenty-first century depend on scientific fields where the evidence is complex, uncertain or rapidly evolving, or where there is controversy both within and outside the scientific community.
The focus will be on both EU-level and national level science advice. The event will also provide useful input to Finland from around Europe as Finland develops its next-generation science advice capabilities.
The event features a range of high-level participants from both Finland and wider Europe. Guests include:
- Pearl Dykstra, deputy chair of the European Commission’s Group of Chief Scientific Advisors
- Sierd Cloetingh, chair of the board of SAPEA and president of Academia Europaea
- Risto Nieminen, president of the Finnish Academy of Science and Letters
- Heikki Mannila, president of the Academy of Finland
- Vladimir Sucha, director-general of the European Commission’s Joint Research Centre
- Wim van Saarlos, president of the Royal Dutch Academy of Arts and Sciences
- Carina Keskitalo, member of the European Commission’s Group of Chief Scientific Advisors
- Ortwin Renn, chair of the SAPEA working group on science advice
- Lea Kauppi, director-general of the Finnish Environment Institute
- Johanna Vuorelma, postdoctoral researcher at Tampere University’s Institute for Advanced Social Research
- Tarmo Soomere, president of the Estonian Academy of Sciences
- Senior member of the Finnish government, tbc
- Senior official in the Finnish prime minister’s office, tbc
The event will incorporate plenary panel discussions from prominent scholars and practitioners of science advice in Europe, together with workshops on key themes.
A detailed programme will be available nearer the time, and emailed to attendees in advance.
This event is brought to you by: